Re: [BRHSlist] Modeling branch-line trackage (was HY&T)

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Modeling branch-line trackage (was HY&T)
From: "Steven Holding" <s.holding@c...>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 22:37:17 -0500
From: Marshall Thayer
To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, October 06, 2002 12:33 PM

>> The HY&T R-O-W ran along side the highway for a ways,
and it was almost impossible at any given moment on casual
observation to determine whether or not it was actually there. Weeds
were as high as the corn, and ties (such as they were) were
invisible. . . . . <<

Denny's commentary reminds me of a cartoon I did for RMC about 30 years ago -
the proud modeler, showing a friend his layout, remarks "I like to feel I've
captured the true essence of backwoods railroading." The layout itself was a
vast sea of lichen, with only a diamond stack, a caboose cupola and the top of
a water tower showing above the vegetation.

On a serious note, how *would* one model such an environment? Drowuning the
tracks in weeds would be relatively simple to do with various modern scenery
techniques, but what would you have to do to keep the rails clear enough for
electrical contact and reliable tracking? Would the visual result be worth the
trouble?

We can either start a discussion, or this potential thread can die a neglected
death right here <grin> . . .

Marshall Thayer

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor