FYI To O-Gaugers: Review of Lionel's Issued CB&Q E5 AA Set

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: FYI To O-Gaugers: Review of Lionel's Issued CB&Q E5 AA Set
From: "bill_og" <haywarb@b...>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 17:10:57 -0000
FYI. Lionel has released their CB&Q E5 AA set in the last 2 weeks.

They are essentially the same as Lionel's catalog illustration. The
bodies, fuel tanks, and trucks are painted silver. The lower sides
are smooth with no fluting and with no shadow-line stripes as a
fluting substitute. There are no immitation red grills on either
side of the Mars light. The lettering is the Zephyr Gothic font.
There is a full color BR herald on the nose.

View the models at your dealer if interested.

Bill H.

--- In BRHSlist@y..., "bill_og" <haywarb@b...> wrote:
> This is an FYI to 3-rail O-gauge CB&Q fans from an "individual BRHS
> member". I am not employed or involved in any "commercial
> enterprise" for the sale of "rail model" or "railfan merchandise".
> This post is offered in the same spirit as the FYI product
> announcements in the BRHS's Zephyr Newsletter and website Model
>
> Lionel's 2002/Volume 2 catalog is now available at dealers but not
> yet posted on their website. They have 2 CB&Q offerings:
>
> 1. E5 AA diesel set for MSRP $650 (dealors often offer discounts).
> From the catalog illustration, the model is based on their E6
tooling
> (the prototypre E6 was similar but not identical to the prototype
> E5). One A unit is powered, the other is a dummy. The units are
> named Silver Carrier (#9915A) and Silver Clipper (#9915B, note that
> the prototype Silver Clipper was a B unit). I can not tell from
the
> catalog illustration if the units are simply painted silver or if
> they will be "chromed" like Lionel's 1980 Zephyr F3's. The
> nose "window" stripes are red but the illustration does not show
> any "grill" stripes on either side of the Mars light. The trucks
and
> fuel tanks are silver in the illustration. The illustration shows
> decals for both the E5 model plate and the EMD builder's plate.
The