Re: [BRHSlist] CB&Q Freight Train Info Needed

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] CB&Q Freight Train Info Needed
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@e...>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 08:27:29 -0500
Paul,

The schedules were arranged that way so that the trains
COULD be combined.

Freight trains, unlike passenger trains, only run when there is
traffic to move. I will acknowledge that at one time, say the
50's that the pattern, as it was set up, was usually followed.
By the late 60's most roads had realized that adhering to a
strict schedules and handling excess traffic on extras was
neither cost effective nor did it fulfill customer expectations.

Using the examples below:

#163 & #165 were almost always combined.
#63 & #65 most days would run separate.

On days when the TOFC and Forwarder traffic was light,
(usually Monday and Tuesday), they may have run only
one or two trains on these four schedules. On Friday and
Saturday it would be more normal to run three.

This was the start of the "micro managed" railroad that we
have today. Now there are dozens of "schedules" between
Cicero and Galesburg or Northtown and the schedules are
used on the basis of traffic patterns. A particular train may
only run once a month or some other schedule might be used
three times in one day.

If you are looking at realistically modeling traffic patterns then
the day of the week, what month it is, and how robust the
economy is all have to be factored in.

I talk too much for this list. Contact me off list if you have more
questions.

Russ