St Louis Annual Meeting

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: St Louis Annual Meeting
From: Aeolus3@a...
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 12:40:26 EDT

I would like to state that the St Louis Annual Meeting had to be the best one
that I have ever attended..... and for those of us that regularly attend the
annual meets that is saying something! We've had some great ones! Willow
Springs with the tour of the Zephyr Pit and the final run of 2 E's one of
which BN#9902 NOW is back in Silver yes Silver with black nose strips! Thanks
to the work of Dave Lotz and John Lee along with the staff of the Museum of
Transport in St Louis, we have an E8. I think of Friday along with the motor
drives of a number of cameras I saw a few wet eyes in the crowd! And not
forgetting the Aurora Meet with the trip on the special "Mark Twain Zephyr"
downtown Chicago with a bus ride over to the S & I for a private tour of the
restored Pioneer Zephyr.... seeing an EMD E 8 back in silver...... well it
brought a few tears to my eyes as well.

Thursday Dave opened his layout to tours with two operating sessions. On
Dave's layout we were back in 1963 on the Burlington from Galesburg across
the Misissippi River at Burlington IA, up West Burlington Hill, past the
shops, and then to Ottumwa IA.

The St Louis Airport Marriot Hotel was the host hotel for the Annual Meeting.
The hotel did a wonderful job for us along with a very friendly staff that
made you feel like a guest in a private home. The Saturday Swap Meet,
Clinics, Model and Photo Contest provided a sharing of information on just
about everything on the Burlington railroad. After a very nice dinner and
raffle we enjoyed a slide show on the railroads of St Louis.

I would like to say also that for those of you on the list that aren't
members of the BRHS please think about joinning. It's $30.00 per year.
Meeting other members along with the sharing of information is well worth the
$30. Not to mention The Bulletin (Hol Wagner is the editor) and The Zephyr
(Mike Spoor is the editor) we have the two finest publications out there. I
am forgetting the Calendar sorry Ed! I do have to laugh when I think about
some of the things that have appeared in The Zephyr.... everything you always
wanted to know about fence posts but we afraid to ask! Drawings of the
"origional" plans for the E5's. Then the Bulletin from the Twin Zephyrs to
"Here comes Da Bus" and I understand the next Bulletin is going to be on the
Exposition Flyer. I remember I think it was at the meet at La Crosse WI when
Hol asked us if we wanted a Bulletin on the history and operations of
"Burlington Trailways", I admitt not a Bulletin about the 2 rails but a
history of a part of the passenger operation that showed how pro passenger
the Q was and Burlington Trailways survives today.

So join the group! Fun was had by all!

Loren