Re: E-5 B Units (Was: Re: [BRHSlist] Digest Number 1429 (New CB&Q E7A)}

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: E-5 B Units (Was: Re: [BRHSlist] Digest Number 1429 (New CB&Q E7A)} <snipped>
From: "Marshall Thayer" <zephyr9903@e...>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 21:46:03 -0700
OK, let's try to clean this up for you . . .

>> I can verify at least 5 E-5 B's & maybe 7 B units.

Silver Speed: owned by both the CB&Q (9910B) & C&S (9951B)

Silver Mate: owned by the CB&Q (9911B), FW&D (9982B), & the C&S (9952B) in
that order. I wish she had survived with her sister, the Silver Pilot.

Silver Comet: CB&Q 9912B

Silver Swift: CB&Q 9914B<<

Silver Swift was an E-5A ph.II - 9914A / 9914B and 9915A / 9915B were identical
A units delivered as back-to-back pairs.

Silver Warrior: FW&D 9980B bought along with the Silver Chief specificly for
the Texas Zephyr.

I'm not sure about the the Silver Wings 9913 (Single unit order) & unit
9915B (6/41 delivery)

Going by original delivery numbers, 9909 was an unmated A unit; 9910A&B through
9912A&B were three matched pairs of E5A plus E5B (these were phase I units).

This provides you with the only three E-5Bs on the CB&Q proper. 9910B and 9911B
will go to the C&S/FW&D in 1955, together with four of the E-5As.

Meanwhile, the C&S had 9950A&B and the FW&D aquired 9980A&B - these were new
deliveries in 1940, identical to the CB&Q pairs from 9910A&B to 9912A&B. So, we
have 3 E5Bs on the Q, and one each on the FW&D and C&S, for a total production
of E-5Bs, all phase I.

As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, the shovel-nosed Denver Zephyr
motors had B units, later designated "EB" (which seems doubly odd - the
designation had been used for the 12-wheel boosters of the B&O's first,
streamlined diesels ; and the "E" - at the time - stood for "Eighteen"[hundred
horsepower] - but the shovelnose boosters produced only 1200 hp. On the other
hand, calling them "TB"s could have confused things with Rock Island's "TA"s.

At any rate, note only were 9906B/07B proper (if underpowered) B units, but the
four associated A units, 9904A-9907A, were *turned into* B units in the early
'fifties. Road controls were removed, leaving only that needed for hostling,
some of the windshield windows were boarded up/replaced with MU receptacles,
the overhead grills were removed and the vent areas increased (in spite of
which, cooling while running backward was always a weakness for these units).
Additionally, the pilot was cut up to the bottom of the skirt, a permanent nose
coupler was installed, and they lost their name boards. These units saw
irregular booster service until cut up for scrap between 1955 and 1957.

Finally, we have the honorary 3 F-3B units of the California Zephyr sets. It's
a shame they weren't renumbered when they were pout in freight service, just to
clear the air <grin>.

I still stand with the *intent* of my original statement, that the CB&Q only
owned 3 conventionally designed passenger boosters, and that they were all
pre-war, and that the absence of an E-7B from Broadway Limited shouldn't send
Florian into mourning <grin>!

Marshall (who runs off at the mouth at the drop of a 9900 number) Thayer