Re: [BRHSlist] Renascence Painting

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Renascence Painting
From: Randy Gordon-Gilmore <zephyrus@r...>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 12:16:57 -0700
At 01:13 AM 9/4/2002 -0500, David E. Lotz wrote:

>Does anyone on the list know where a person might be able to purchase a
>reprint of the painting "Renascence" ?

I've asked about this a couple of times, with no success.

Renescence was the 1935 calendar top. I don't know about copyright issues
at this point, but it seems to me that the most feasible way would be to
have a calendar top in really good condition professionally scanned, and
then printed on archival-quality paper. Unfortunately, I don't know
anyone with a copy that would be willing to let it out to be scanned.

There are many places that work with old photographs and prints that can
do this. I have an old black and white print of the Mark Twain Zephyr
that is starting to silver. I had it scanned at a place in Auburn, and
the scan is detailed enough to be able to zoom in and look at the
airbrushing (almost the whole train was airbrushed, and the river, sky,
and foreground embankment were all composited from different photos).

I would certainly be willing to contribute toward the scanning (which
probably would not be over $100, and should be 8-bit TIFF (12-bit would
be better, but not even all professional scanners will output 12-bit) at
least 1000dpi) in order to have a copy of the TIFF file.

Best regards,

Randy

zephyrus@r... http://www.prototrains.com