Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Work Rules

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Work Rules
From: "Mike Decker" <mdecker@g...>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 18:27:15 -0600
Hi Bob:

The old-time basic day was 100 miles with overtime after 8 hours. I don't
remember exactly when the basic day started to be increased, but it was
sometime in the late 1980's. The current contract has a 130 mile basic day
with overtime after eight hours for a trip of 130 actual miles or less. On
trips over 130 actual miles, the overtime will cut in at various times (the
times listed here are based on our "program trips" to different mines in the
PRB): 148 mi., 9' 07"; 169 mi., 10' 25"; 222mi., 13' 40". Interdivisional
run-throughs (under the CB&Q contract, which is the one we work under) are
normally 12 hours for overtime, regardless of the actual miles run.

In actual practice, you won't be "performing service" for more than 12
hours, but it can be a long time after you "die on your hours" before a van
shows up to take you to the terminal and go off duty for pay purposes. The
Hours of Service Law requires 8 hours of rest if you are on duty less than
12 hours, and 10 hours off if you exceed 12 hours. What this really means
is that from the time you go off duty with less than 12 hours until the
phone rings, it will be 6' 30", for an 8 hour call "on your rest". Get to
your lodging place, eat, and sleep fast. There are people who will tie up
on 11' 59" so as to get out of their away from home terminal in only eight
hours, but I won't. If I'm out there twelve hours, I want ten hours rest.
Sometimes you end up going home with a different Conductor...but that's the
way it goes.

Best,

Mike Decker, Edgemont, S. D.