K-4 drawings?

To: brhslist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: K-4 drawings?
From: Randy Gordon-Gilmore <zephyrus@r...>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 14:51:11 -0700
I'm starting to draw up the K-4 in N scale (what will be my first
scratchbuilt engine) and have a couple of questions that would be best
answered by a good erection drawing or two! Does anyone know if any
exist?

1. The driving wheels were initially 72", and later 64". In the drawing
in "Steam Locomotives of the Burlington Route" the cylinder rod is level
with the driving wheel centers (I assume at design weight), and the class
diagram scans at Vernon Beck's website show the rods 1-1/4" above the
wheel centers. Would the journals have been shimmed somehow to account
for the difference? I would have assumed that, all else being equal, the
relative axle position wouldn't have changed. But it also looks from the
Rev. B class diagram that the cylinders were also changed from 13" to 19"
diameter. I suppose that the cylinder centerline might have been raised
at that point. Also, from the class and "Steam Locomotives" drawings it
looks like the pilot truck wheels stayed at 33". I would not expect this,
because it would mean the pilot truck height relative to the frames would
change quite a bit.

2. I am not sure whether the boiler has a constant-diameter section
immediately ahead of the firebox, or if it is a straight taper from the
smokebox to the firebox.

Thanks for any guidance!

Randy

zephyrus@r... http://www.prototrains.com