Re: [BRHSlist] Subruban Train Consists 1951

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Subruban Train Consists 1951
From: "Virginia Edgar" <vje68@h...>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 00:21:27 -0500
Bcc:
Rick - Mike emailed me & suggested putting the entire thing as a consist sheet in next Zephyr as he has done before with conventional pass. trains. But I will bring to St. L if you care to read thru. The sheets do NOT show 4500's. However the 6100 series are listed as "6100 type" = perhaps that would inc. some 4500's or as you say, there were more than 5? I too assume the "AC type" = 7100 given the era. But headings were/are just as I listed: Gallery/AC/6100/Others (inc. Baggage, RPO Express & Auxilary Car); i.e. 4 categories of cars. As for use of power cae on every train (true of W-Bd too), since "other" is not specifically ID'ed for ea train it may be possible some were non-power head-end cars. But if indeed every train in "51 had a generator car, it may very well have been that the conventional wisdom at the time was that they were a necessity - look how many yrs it took the Mechanical Dept to get over the assumption that diesels would not operate properly @ high altitude and thus steam was kept on Climax branch much longer than necessary. I may have more of these as have never really gone thru the files that I have (mostly from Chief Eng's office but some from Exec) - made another discovery along with the suburban consists (which all came about as I looked for waycar data for the new book); namely a full page, handwritten & signed letter by Jack Ford describing his experiences after 11 days of scheduled PZ running, having visitors in cab, reliability, etc. Will never know its value because needless to say I'd never put it up for sale!
Gerald

Gerry,

I would love to see the Westbound consist as well. A few questions, though.
Does the AC column mean the converted 7100 series coaches for Suburban
Service? As far as the 6100 series coaches, I thought that there were 5 ice a/c 6100 series cars and 4 ice a/c 4500 series cars used in suburban service.
Your sheet shows 7 on M-F service. No note of the 4500's and more of the
6100's than I am aware of. Do you know why?

Also, it seems that even the 1 and 2 car dinky's used a power car in 1951. I was told that an E unit could provide power for a 2 car train without a power
car. In fact in later years I have seen photos of a 2 car dinky's without
the power car. It seems, though, that at this time all trains used a power
car. Comments?

Finally, since the Q only had 30 Gallery cars at this time, it appears that
20 of the cars made the trip back to Aurora and were turned again for late
night service back to Chicago. The car cleaners were hopping!

Thanks for the great consist!

Rich Gortowski