re: West Chicago etc

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: re: West Chicago etc
From: "Virginia Edgar" <vje68@h...>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 22:10:29 -0500
Bcc:

Leo - Was not involved with that hospital run but recall hearing about it. You are right though that I may have my spurs mixed up i.e. the Campana plant as the Q line up the west side (the old OO&FR)terminated at Batavia Foundry for a long time whereas the C&NW spur to Aurora did cut across hwy #31 near Campana & then stayed within a rock's throw along side the Fox River to Aurora where in its last yrs it stopped at the brush works after the connection with the Q was cut by const. of a new bank, etc in W side of downtown Aurora. By that time the Q/BN only went as far North as the newsprint whse for the Aurora BEACON. Some great "in the street" switches & sidings to the old Valentine whse, etc. Recall too the lumber yard in WeGo getting cars on the main for unloading as service was infrequent enough that it didn't bother anything - somehow a number of old Q baggage wagons ended up around there by a nearby bldg but before I could inquire as to buying one they had all disappeared. (was going to put it in our back yard with planters assuming my wife would have agreed!). Recall box cars of feed (bagged) would sometimes get set off just shy of the C&NW with same type of unloading; believe I have a slide of a box car being unloaded with a forklift. May have been birdseed too as they did a tremendous business with all the suburbanites feeding birds in the winter. Gerald