Fw: [Model Railroad Scenery Tips :Making ponds

To: SANTAFE@c..., warbonnetclubatsf@yahoogroups.com, ATSF@yahoogroups.com, BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com, frisco@n..., rad@n..., thefriscoclub@yahoogroups.com, Frisco@yahoogroups.com, modelintermodal@yahoogroups.com, mktfansandmodellers@yahoogroups.com, mkt@yahoogroups.com, n_scale@yahoogroups.com, ritslist@s..., CRIP-RR@yahoogroups.com, rockislandrockets@yahoogroups.com, soonerstaterails@yahoogroups.com, Union_Pacific@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Fw: [Model Railroad Scenery Tips :Making ponds
From: okt@j...
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 10:10:33 -0500
>From the Scener list, good technique for making ponds.
Terry

--------- Forwarded message ----------

From: modelrailroadscenerytips@yahoogroups.com

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 18:30:37 -0000
From: candfcalico
Subject: Beautiful rivers and ponds the easy way

Now that I am 70 years old, I am beginning to find that luck is the
most important characteristic of a winner. For instance, I have
always struggled with saw, hot wire, knife, etc. to from my rivers
and ponds. It was very difficult to have a nicely contoured shape. It
was impossible to have a gentle or steep slope to the water without
building up the sides. But as I was struggling along with our 6th
layout, I flipped my paint thinner rag on my train top, muttered some
and went out of my train room. Now my train table top is hardboard,
topped by two insulation sheets, each at 3/4" thickness, for 1 1/2"
The next day I picked up my rag and looked in amazement. There was
the perfect pond, about 15 inches in diameter. It had an uneven shape
contour with a scrolled shoreline. The sloop went down 3/4". In most
of the area it was a gentle slope to the bottom, but in one area it
was quite steep.
Since then I have made all sorts of shapes and depths in the
insulation for rivers and ponds and house foundations and - well, you
just name it, as I'll be trying it.
So don't be smart, just be lucky.
Fred