Re: [BRHSlist] No Bills

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] No Bills
From: "John D. Mitchell, Jr." <cbqrr47@y...>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 19:07:59 -0700 (PDT)
Russ
While some commodities, i.e. grain, etc., were
processed "in transit", all commodities were not. This
was referred to as "milling in transit", "ginning in
transit", "cleaning in transit", etc. and of course
they were unloaded and reloaded. But some commodities
such as coal were in fact stored in the same cars. Old
Ben Coal Co. leased tracks for 500 cars at Centralia
and 400 cars at Beardstown on the Q. At Mattoon, Il
they owned a 1000 car storage yard on the IC and at
the Rail to Water Terminal on the south side of
Chicago, they had another 500 car storage yard. The
coal stored here was "untouched by human hands". They
paid both demurrage and transit privileges on the
shipments. Some coal was cleaned and otherwise
processed "in transit" and this was unloaded and
reloaded after going through the prep plant. By the
way after 1962, when all coal billing was concentrated
at Centralia Yard Office, the only documentation for
loads moving from the mine to Centralia (bill or no
bill) was by slip bill or switchlist.
John