Re: [BRHSlist] No Bills

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] No Bills
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@p...>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 08:23:06 -0500
John,

I'm sorry but you do not understand "Storage In Transit".
That is the application of inbound billing to outbound
movements. With degerulation it is gone now, and it's
good riddance. It was terrible from the viewpoint of
equipment utilization and resulted in a lot of free moves.

Never saw a "slip bill" used for anything but an empty.

The "Mine Bills" that Railroads like the C&O used just
had blank spaces. When the cars were humped for weight
and sold the "Mine Bills" were used to move the cars to
destination. Yes, they were only half sized but they were
still revenue waybills. Took a lot of clerks to rate a 100
car mine run after it had been weighed and dispositioned.

There is a little bit about the process in S Kip Farrington's
"Railroads At War". Or course, he describes the job in
terms of patriotism.

Not a very interesting subject. Just a job, not a hobby.

Russ