FYI To O-Gaugers: Review of Lionel CB&Q E5 AA Announcement

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: FYI To O-Gaugers: Review of Lionel CB&Q E5 AA Announcement
From: "bill_og" <haywarb@b...>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 16:12:44 -0000

Lionel's 2002/Volume 2 catalog is now available at dealers but not
yet posted on their website. They have 2 CB&Q offerings:

1. E5 AA diesel set for MSRP $650 (dealors often offer discounts).
>From the catalog illustration, the model is based on their E6 tooling
(the prototypre E6 was similar but not identical to the prototype
E5). One A unit is powered, the other is a dummy. The units are
named Silver Carrier (#9915A) and Silver Clipper (#9915B, note that
the prototype Silver Clipper was a B unit). I can not tell from the
catalog illustration if the units are simply painted silver or if
they will be "chromed" like Lionel's 1980 Zephyr F3's. The
nose "window" stripes are red but the illustration does not show
any "grill" stripes on either side of the Mars light. The trucks and
fuel tanks are silver in the illustration. The illustration shows
decals for both the E5 model plate and the EMD builder's plate. The
word "BURLIN #### GTON" on the sides is split by one of the side
vents (the E6 tooling has the taller side windows that does not
allow "BURLINGTON" to be prototypically placed below the vents and
above the windows. Also, the lower sides appear to be smooth (the
E5's had the ribbed fluting here); possibly Lionel will either add
the ribbing or possibly use a "shadow-line" parallel lines to
simulate fluting.

Although MTH did a CB&Q E6 ABA set recently, the E5 has never been
offered before in O-gauge, probably since the BR lines are the only
prototypical roads for E5 tooling. Lionel's attempt may be the
closest O-gauge ever gets to a true E5 model. Although the catalog
illustration has some deviations, I am hoping that the released model
surpasses those expectations (this was certainly the case with
Lionel's recent BR/C&S U30C which is a fantastic model).

No mention is made of a matching passenger consist. Lionel usually
announces these in subsequent catalogs. I hope they offer a vista
dome Twin Cities Zephyr (never done in O-gauge). Lionel usually does
their streamlined cars in plated aluminum.

2. Lionel has also offered a Chinese red stock car with black/white
cows for MSRP $55.

FYI only since I am not in any "commercial enterpripe". Visit your
favorite dealer if you want more info.

Bill H.