Galesburg days

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Galesburg days
From: William Barber <clipperw@E...>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 10:41:43 -0500
I don't know about services on the train, but there is always food available from various groups and vendors at the depot. Usually, they are on the east side of the station. There are also several local restaurants a block north and east of the depot. They, however, may be crowded and time consuming. The depot food fare is usually hot dogs, hamburgers, brats and pork chops, all grilled on the spot by local civic groups. Soft drinks, chips, etc. are also available.

As for displays at the depot, there is a tent set up usually to the west of the building. The displays have gotten fewer in recent years, but the RR always has equipment lined up on the track side of the depot and mainline trains go by frequently on the south main. EMD and GE used to host locomotive displays and a booth in the tent, but both stopped attending several years back. In recent years, there have also been short rail trips into the Galesburg yard, but these are very crowded and may not be doable in the time you have available. The tent displays often include RR memorabilia, artwork and some RR related safety information. Sometimes, there is some model RR equipment. There is also a hobby shop across the street from the depot. The have had Q/BN/ATSF model displays in the past and these may be of interest. Have a good time. By the way, it is usually quite warm and the only air conditioning is in the depot.