Re: Galesburg Railroad Days

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Galesburg Railroad Days
From: "bill_og" <haywarb@b...>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 17:14:19 -0000
My 9 year old daughter and I will ride the MR #261 excursion from
Naperville to Galesburg RR Days. We will see what we can between 1-
3PM while the train sits at GRRD.

What all displays/activities will be in the depot area?

We purchased the "coach w/out box lunch" tickets, since my finicky 9
year old probably wouldn't like the box lunch. I am thinking of
packing a lunch so that we can maximize our 2 hours at the depot on
viewing the displays. For anyone that has previously ridden the #261
excursions, what all is offered in the refreshment car to eat? Are
there food vendors in the depot area for fast eating?

Thanks in advance for your answers. I am really looking forward to
my first attendance at GRRD and my first ride on the Q since ~1965!

Bill H.

PS - I got to watch the UP Challenger pass through Lake County, IL
yesterday! What a great RR month June 2002 is!

--- In BRHSlist@y..., "littlegiant_il" <harryg@g...> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Well less than one week to go before the annual big shindig at the
Hub
> of the Bulington Route, Galesburg, Illinois. Here's some late
breaking
> stuff that was too late to get into the brochure.
>
> PUBLIC TRIP TO YATES CITY. Once again this year the folks at the
BNSF
> are offering a trip down the line to Yates City. One trip, 140
seats in
> BNSF executive cars.
>
> Depart Galesburg 9:00 Saturday June 22, returning about noon in
time to
> witness the arrival of 261 and the NRHS fantrip from Chicago.
>
> Fare is $35.00 per seat. This includes a breakfast served on board.
>
> Info and tickets are available in advance at:
>
> Galesburg Chamber of Commerce
> PO Box 749
> Galesburg, Il. 61402-0749
> (309) 343-1194
>
> MODEL TRAIN AND RAILROADIANA SHOW AT CARL SANDBURG COLLEGE
>
> As things stand today there are 30 layouts and exhibits who plan to
> paticipate in the Show. There are 75 vendors from 14 states with
> 285 tables of railroad "goodies". A $4.00 admission also includes a
> couple of extras.
>
> Saturday 5:00 PM in the College Theatre, Jim Boeger of the
Northwestern
> Illinois Chapter NRHS, will do a slide show "Railfanning in the
Great
> Southwest" Jim is a regular contributor to Trains Magazine and has
had
> photos featured in the Union Pacific company calendar for the past
> several years.
>
> Sunday 12:00 Noon in the College Theatre, Matt Phalen of Waynet,
Il.
> will do a slide show. Stop by and see some of his work and help
> encourage the next generation of railfans.
>
> Sunday at 2:00 PM in the Lecture Hall (C102): Professor Donald Q
Lamb