Operating Data Sheets Questions

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Operating Data Sheets Questions
From: "thommack" <mack@c...>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 15:44:13 -0000
I just received my copy of the CB&Q Operating Data Sheets book and
having looked it over, I was hoping someone could answer some
questions: Maybe the easiest is: Did anyone ever do an explanations
sheet (user guide) for the data sheets? If the answer is yes, you can
probably disregard the remaining questions. Otherwise, since I never
have worked for a railroad, some of the information in the data
sheets was a bit confusing.

Some specific questions:

What is meant by Single Unit Rating next to the Car & Tonnage Limits?
For example, if the limit says a 4-unit train is 110-4500 I realize
this means 100 cars or 4,500 tons, but when it says Single Unit
Rating of 2937 does that mean the total horsepower for the 4-unit
train is based on 11,748 HP? In other words, I would need 4 GP40's
(3,000HP each), but if I only have GP30's available (2,250HP each) I
would need 6 units? Or does the Single Unit Rating expressing tonnage
per unit?

How does the above correlate (if at all) to the Drag Tonnage Ratings
on pp. 255-271? What are Drag Tonnage Ratings anyway (I understand
the basic concept, but does "Drag Tonnage" relate to particular
speeds, or what)?

In the Connections section of a data sheet, it will sometimes talk
about Cutoff time, Departs time, and for train 96 it talks about
Cutoffs ? Regular, Special, Departs. What are these times? Also, did
the Q train (such as train 96) just leave its cars in the yard to be
delivered by a transfer run to the connecting railroad, or how did
this work? Were transfers made from the Q to the connecting railroad,
or did the connecting railroad pick up the cars at the Q yard?

All of this is important to me not only in regard to learning, but I
would like to use some of this in setting up operating sessions on my
layout, especially in regard to the connections and transfers between
the Q and other railroads.

I know this is a lot of questions, but any help is appreciated!

Tom Mack