Re: [BRHSlist] Express Reefers (Another Head End Question)

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Express Reefers (Another Head End Question)
From: rgortowski@a...
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 17:24:17 EDT
Jonathan,

The Sunshine kit allows you to pick the decals for the era you are modeling.
Since I am modeling 1950, I picked the smaller lettering without the REA
herald. These come as part of the kit. The Sunshine Prototype Data Sheet
says the following about paint:

"REA wood reefers were lettered for years in a simple dulux gold lettering on
a green car with company name on the letterboard and "Express Refrigerator"
and car number on both sides of the door. The shade of green used
approximates the Pullman green. In 1952 REA began to use a revised lettering
which included the large REA red and white symbol The company name was moved
to the left side along with car number and "Refrigerator" was spelled out
above the logo."

I would use standard Pullman only for fresher painted cars. Add white or
white/yellow for a car that has been in service for some time as most of
these cars were, indeed, filthy. One of the prototype photos in the Sunshine
kit shows a car that looks virtually un-numbered. If you do paint it with
Pullman, be sure to weather it with light tan/brown combination to make it
appear used.

The Prototype Data Sheet says the following about the roofs:

"The roofs were radial with canvas and tar applied. Hatch covers were
constructed of tongue in groove wood." It also says "The roofs of REA cars
were black, as they were covered with canvas and asphaltum. The underbody
and trucks were also black."

For those not wanting to build the resin kit, take a look at the Athern car.
If you paint and weather it nicely and add a few details, it makes a decent
fill in.

These cars ride high (as you can see in some of those pictures you quoted).
They make a very distinct addition to the passenger consist. As you have
pointed out, you definitely see these in many of the pictures.

Rich