Re: [BRHSlist] Pullman

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Pullman
From: Brad Slaney <bradslaney@w...>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 20:25:56 -0700
From: <qutlx1@a...>
To: <brhslist@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, May 03, 2002 7:46 PM
Subject: [BRHSlist] Pullman

> This months issue of Classic Trains has an interesting article about a
> Pullman conductor on the Super Chief. Of course it brought many unanswered
> questions to mind. Can anyone point me to a good source of detailed info
on
> Pullman operations(I already have "NIght Trains"). Looking for something
that
> will detail pay schedules,work agreements,etc. The comment by the subject
> Conductor that he was gone 5 days for a round trip to L..A. and then off 7
> just cries out for more detail.
> Imagine a 2,000 mile "long pool"!
> Anybody know if dining car waiters,stewards,porters and chair car
attendants
> had similar work schedules?
> Leo

Leo,

I know the dining car crews on the Twin City Zephyrs were on a four day
rotation, 4 on 4 off. And the porters also. I think the other crews were
basically the same, but won't swear to it. I wonder if Joe Vaghy is still
alive (Q Supt of Dining Cars at the end and I think the same job for BN at
the beginning). I'm sure he would know.

The GN and NP dining car crews were on a five day rotation out of St. Paul.
There is a book, "Dining Car Line to the Pacific" by William A. McKenzie
that explains the NP North Coast Limited rotation very well and it was the
same for the GN Empire Builder. Basically those rotations started on their
respective EASTBOUND runs out of St Paul and ended five days later EASTBOUND
into St Paul. The trains were split and the old dining and lounge cars
taken off and fresh cars and crew cut in.

BRAD