Two double tracks in Illinois

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Two double tracks in Illinois
From: "krugcpa" <krugcpa@y...>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 03:25:44 -0000
I stopped in Mendota on Saturday April 13th and watched a mixed
freight stop to pick up a cut of cars. While doing so, a serious WB
stack train hurried through. Which got me wondering: Will the BNSF
keep two double tracks in Illinois? I would think it's expensive to
maintain the ROW up to the top standards that each line had. I
understand Amtrak runs on the BN. I also thought that most of the
expedited traffic ran on the ATSF. So won't the BN line eventually
be reduced? Would a single track on the BN EB from Galesburg be
sufficient?