Re: [BRHSlist] Step Off

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Step Off
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@i...>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 17:19:52 -0500
Leo,

Was not exactly a secret. Some nights it was noticed at Congress
Park. For a while in the 70's they were having #82 pick up everything
at Rochelle. Since they already had Congress Park cars on the head
end California Packing/DelMonte, Swift, & Carnation did not really
care if their stuff went to the IHB so they would just set out everything.
Problem was that GI68/66 had already been there first. Meant that
many times they had to shove out on the IHB West Pass and at times
cut two crossings. I'd generally drive back to the waycar and get the
bills while this long division move was being made. I did understand
why the Conductor would be down on the IHB and no one on the
waycar.

There is also the case of the East End heading into the yard at
Downers Grove Westbound and sure enough finding the switch
between #1 and the lead half cocked. This was not unusual but if
you're in a hurry you ain't got time to stop. One day they put the
unit on the ground right on the switch. Now you gotta wait for the
truck from Cicero, right? Well, yes they did, but one crew member
just walked back to the Depot and got on a Dinky and went home.

Is that a "step off?

Russ