Yahoo Profile - close of thread

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Yahoo Profile - close of thread
From: "David E. Lotz" <Dave_Lotz@m...>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 20:50:09 -0500
Gee guys....I go away for the weekend and the list goes to gutter! :-) A
good thing to keep in mind, is that all of the posts you make are saved for
posterity in the message archives...and someone going into them two or three
years from now doing a search, may bring up your post, without the benefit
of the rest of the conversation thread and wonder what the heck the gals who
like trains had to do with the Burlington Route!

EVERYONE - PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULLY!

The conversation thread on updating the Yahoo profile and spam needs to stop
with this email. If you have comments you would like to mail directly to
me, I'll be glad to read and respond.

I'm sorry there has been so much confusion over my request to update your
profile's name. Had I known the grief it would cause, I would not have
requested it. Please, please, PLEASE, when you are instructed to send
things offlist, make sure you do so! You cannot simply hit reply... you
have to physically remove the BRHSlist YahooGroups address from the TO: and
physically add the person to whom the mail is being sent.

Now, in regards to the recent explosion in the volume of SPAM received is
PRIMARILY attributable to the recent change in YAHOOGROUPS "marketing"
philosophy from OPT-IN to OPT-OUT. John has posted instructions for how to
change those options in your Yahoo profile a couple of times. Please take
the time to change these to help eliminate the SPAM. Unfortunately, through
the buy-outs, we've gone from Onelist to Yahoo and now are obligated to play
by their rules. Keep in mind that Yahoo already has you email address and I
doubt you will be able to eliminate all SPAM, however through a combination
of changing your Yahoo settings, and using email filters, you can eliminate
a large portion.

I know some of you are not computer experts...however some time invested in
learning how to use the computer can be just as important as learning how to
start a chain saw before cutting down a tree...yes, you can get the tree cut
down, but it's much easier if the motor is running!

David Lotz
(314-846-8632
* E-mail: Dave_Lotz@m...