Re: [BRHSlist] Diesel Engine Question

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Diesel Engine Question
From: Bob Yarger <bobyar2001@y...>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 10:47:26 -0800 (PST)
Though it usually isn't done, it is always wise to
open the test cocks and crank the engine over two or
three times, to blow out any water that might have
leaked onto the top of the piston. Water does not
compress, and can bend a connecting rod if there is
enough of it in the cylinder. If a locomotive has sat
for more than an hour or so, it is always wise to blow
them out first.

--- cy svobodny <ctsvobodny@y...> wrote:
> diesel ebgines also (I'm told) leak from every
> possible point once they are allowed to cool down.
> It's the laws of expansion and contraction. When hot
> and expanded all joints are tight but cooled and
> contracted the pipes start to leak like a rain
> shower.
> --- Bob Weber <eng95@a...> wrote:
> > I was once told that early (middle 1950's) road
> > diesels like the F7 sometimes had to set at a
> > terminal in idle overnite rather than be shut
> down.
> > The excuse I was told was that each cylinder had
> > be drained before restarting and since the engine
> > had 16 cylinders this work and time required
> wasn't
> > cost effective compared to letting it idle
> overnite.
> > Is any of this true?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Bob

> > removed]

> Yahoo! Greetings - send holiday greetings for
> Easter, Passover
> http://greetings.yahoo.com/

=====
Bob Yarger
Railway Preservation News (free website)
www.rypn.org