Re: [BRHSlist] Depot Colors -- Interior

To: <drale99@a...>, <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Depot Colors -- Interior
From: "Ed Carroll" <ed.carroll@h...>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 10:50:01 -0600
In 1958 the CB&Q Depot in Ottawa, IL had dark varnished wood window sills,
interior doors and door jabs/trim and ceiling and wainscotting in the
telegrapher's office and varnished ceiling and interior sides of doors and door
jams/trim and window sills in the business office, the wainscotting in the
business office was painted a creamy medium brown and the plastered walls
throughout were a pale green (similar to the color that many elementary schools
of the 1930s-1950s).

By 1963, the window sills and frames in the business office had been painted
the same creamy brown as the wainscotting.

I was only once in the REA portion of the building and remember that it seemed
the same, but I am less sure of that.

>>> drale99@a... 04/02/02 10:34AM >>>
There was a lot of heavily varnished wood -- mostly old narrow tongue &
groove strips (like car siding). Most finished space had wood wainscot. I'm
recollectling small depots, which I lived in. Other wood -- window and door
trim, doors, desks, shelving, etc. also varnished wood. Wood floors. Can't
recall colors for plastered walls. Ceilings may have been wood also.