Re: [BRHSlist] Eola

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Eola
From: qutlx1@a...
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 22:04:04 EST
Russ, as to the Austin Western property I was referring to the property EAST
of McClure(the back lot) there was a lead into there from the larger property
of Austin Western, west across McClure. I shoved and pulled Austin on more
nights and midnights than I care to remember.Believe me,I used to know those
leads.
The scrap dealer you refer to was Gordon Scrap(put a gon or 2 in there
too).They're long gone and so is the "industrial lead". I also remember the
time "velvet" (if I recall correctly) was tied on to a potash train in the
east yard and the "foot soldiers" forgot to tie the air in.He started pulling
that train down to double it over and couldnt get it stopped w/the engine
brake and ended up slamming into a gon spotted at Gordon before coming to a
halt.Both the engine and gon were a little off center to the rails(still have
a couple photos of that one).
The lumber dealer you refer to was indeed west of Farnsworth off the
"industrial lead" they were named Globe Lumber and had those strange,unique
rubber tired transports that ran from the spur up Farnsworth and New York
Streets to the lumber yard.Globe is gone now too and the site is owned and
operated by Siegles' out of Elgin. They're lumber comes in off the old
C.M.ST.P.&P. until Menards and Home Depot become a duopoly in the Fox Valley.

As to east yard 1 and 2, yes indeed they have been lengthened all the way
down to the west end of the yard and come into the lead as close to McClure
as possible. The slag hole ws sfilled in to accomplish this. So does 3; which
is new. The old yard 3 is now 4,etc. Alll this was done a few years back by
inserting the new yard 3.
Leo