Re: [BRHSlist] Walthers 52 seat coaches

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Walthers 52 seat coaches
From: SilvrDome@a...
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 16:12:20 EST
Duncan,

If I recall from the photograph in MR, the 52 seat car looks like a post-war
Budd coach, I believe a PRR prototype. Pennsy's Budd coach #4062 (pictured
on page 127 "Illustrated Treasury of Budd Psgr Cars") built in 1949 looks
like the same car.
The model is similar to cars built for Seabord, Missouri Pacific, RF&P, FEC.
In that I mean partial skirts, small letter board, etc.

On one hand, the Walthers model is similar of a Burlington pre-war car in
terms of corrugation. However, the model length of the Walthers car should
be 85' long, and the pre-war Burlington cars were shorter (with the exception
of "Silver Eagle" GPZ 1939).

Since the Santa Fe 48-Seat Chair Cars rode on outside swing hangar trucks,
and had a flat letter board, the new 52 coach may look more convincing as a
Burlington car, in my opinion. I haven't seen the Walthers actual model, and
hopefully they have put the car on earlier friction brake trucks, with brake
cylinders. (You could then grind off the cylinder and have an early disc
brake truck with inside swing hangars).

Hubert