Re: [BRHSlist] Steam engine questions

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Steam engine questions
From: jonathanharris@e...
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 09:28:56 -0900
Thanks, John, for clarifying the relative merits of Elesco vs. Worthington
BL feedwater heaters. Can you or anyone extend this thread and tell us a
little about the Coffin units? I'm curious because, to my knowledge, the
Burlington had only three engines equipped with feedwater heaters of that
type (all Ottumwa Division O-3s), and those units all were removed from the
engines relatively early. Why were they so unsuccessful?

A related (sort of) question: Can you explain the difference between
"lifting" and "non-lifting" injectors, and tell us why the Burlington seems
to have had so strong a preference for the latter?

Thanks again,
Jonathan