Re: [BRHSlist] Steam engine questions

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Steam engine questions
From: "William Allen" <tarfu64@h...>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 11:14:25 -0600
Bcc:
Hi Bob,

That tank is indeed an Elesco Feedwater Heater. It used exhaust steam from the cylinders to preheat the water from the tender before it was pumped into the boiler. A rather creative way to get a little more work out of the steam. If you look at the picture of 6313, directly above the 4th driver and ahead of the air pump, there is the feedwater pump that pumps the water from the tender, through the heater and into the boiler.

I think that 6319 also has a feedwater heater but if it has one it is mounted on the left side of the engine and is of the Worthington BL type. It performed the same function but was of a different design that incorporated the pump and heater into one unit. I think this is the case as the air pump has been moved to the right side (the Worthington BL was a rather large and weighty unit so often the air pumps were relocated to help balance the engine) and I think I can see the exhaust steam pipes coming from the front of the cylinders which would carry the exhaust steam to the heater. However, I may be reading more into the shadows than is actually there.

Hope this has been helpful,

Bill Allen