Re: UTLX tnk car ladings

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: UTLX tnk car ladings
From: "Virginia Edgar" <vje68@h...>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 11:24:20 -0600
Bcc:

John - "Foodstuffs" inc. milk, edible oils etc. had/have special cars due to contamination, etc. They use glass & other linings. Acids & the like ditto due to corrosion problems. Standard unlined, steel tank cars which made up so much of the consists in the Q's hey day would typically carry petroleum products & derivatives, non-corrosive or non-alkali chemicals, etc. Contact me off list & I can give you details from an old UTLX book I have. Knowing a car content is, as you noted, important to markings on a tank to be modeled as well as the appropriate weathering. A purely RR tie-in, inc. Q's MoW, is differ- entiating those work train tanks carrying potable water vs. fuel oil, etc. Note: well into BN time, a notable user of old UTLX & GATX tank cars on the ex-Q West Chicago branch was the industrial chemicals plant on N side of Aurora who's name escapes me - saw 40's built cars there in 1980's. Also some ex-UTLX tanks ended up in the Q's, and other RR's, MoW service upon revenue retirement. Gerald vje68@h...