Industry traffic on the West Quincy - Kirskville branch

To: BRHSlist <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Industry traffic on the West Quincy - Kirskville branch
From: Bill Hirt <whirt@a...>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 08:32:11 -0600
I recently had an opportunity to access the Sanborn Fire Insurance maps
for this branch (and a number of other portions of Lines East). They
provide industry location/name data at the time of the Sanborn survey.
On this branch most of the surveys were conducted in the 1920's with
some of the bigger cities updated during Word War II. The information
generated will be going into the growing NMRA Operations SIG database of
industries (which is now nearly 20,000 entries). I hope by listing the
information I've found might trigger some addiitonal
information/memories of rail customers on this branch. I expect some of
the industries likley changed names over the years (and this information
would be helpful too), but any information about other shippers or what
these customers received would be appreciated.

West Quincy - Kirksville Branch Line

Taylor - no information

Ewing - no information

Lewistown - surveryed 1914
Several grain warehouses (no names listed)
stock pens

La Belle - surveyed 1933
bulk oil depot (no name given)
George D Hope Lumber Co
stock pens
feed mill (no name given)

Knox - surveyed 1924
Cornelius Elevator Co (coal, grain, pickle vats, feed store)
Purity Gasoline Co
stock pens

Edina - updated 1946
Missouri Light & Power power plant (coal fired)
Two lumber companies (Antrin Lumber Co & Gibbons Lumber Co) that could
be team track customers
asphalt tanks (whose were they?)
Wells Lamont glove factory

Hurdland - no information

Brashear - surveyed 1924
Brashear Elevator (5000 bushel capacity/coal bin)
concrete block factory
Antrin Lumber Co (team track customer?)

Kirskville - updated 1942
Missouri Power & Light power plant (coal fired)
bulk oil depot near CB&Q depot
Adair Lumber Co, Arnold Lumber Co & R J Hurley Lumber Co (possible team
track customers?)
Barnsdall Oil Co (on Wabash)
Shell Petroleum Co (on Wabash)
J D Bondurant Sons creamery & ice cream factory
Producers Produce Co
Mitchell Dairy Co creamery & ice cream factory
International Shoe Co (shoe mfg plant)