Re: [BRHSlist] Diesel Engine Question

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Diesel Engine Question
From: PSHedgpeth@a...
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 08:36:37 EST
Bob

In my railroading days...1950's and 60's engines were almost never shut down.
I worked branch line locals in Nebraska and at the away from home terminal
engines were allowed to run overnight. In fact at Hildreth NE the idling SD7
created a "public nuisance" because of disturbing the slumbers of the nearby
citizens. It was finally agreed that the unit would be left next to a coal
shed which would dampen the noise a bit.

You remember that diesel fuel was bargain basement cheap in those days and
the engines didn't burn much at idle. On the Rock Island, where I spent most
of my railroading years, the batteries on most of their engines were so weak
that it was feared that the engines wouldn't start again after being shut
down.

You also realize of course that no antifreeze was used in diesel engines and
therefore there was no question that these units had to be left running to
prevent freezing....In fact at some outlying terminals there was a microphone
attached to a pole near where an unattended unit would be left overnight or
weekend. Said microphone was hooked into the dispatcher's phone. The
dispatcher could then "key" this "phone" from time to time to check to see
that the unit was still running. If not the appropriate mechanical man could
be sent out.

Pete Hedgpeth