Re: [BRHSlist] Genesis/Highliner F-3/7

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Genesis/Highliner F-3/7
From: estaple10@a...
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 16:07:01 EST

Regarding the discussions of the shade of grey used on the Genesis Burlington
F7 and F3s:

For what it's worth ------v

I compared my Athearn units to an OLD Athearn A-B-B-A set which were painted
with actual Burlington grey paint circa 1956-7. A letter was sent to the Q
by a group of model railroaders at St. Joseph's College in Indiana inquiring
about the shade of grey. The Q responded by giving us a letter authorizing
us to pick up a quart of the paint at the Clyde diesel facility. We really
freaked out when we started painting the first set of F units and saw the
plastic dissolving from the paint. We learned to spray real fast.

Back to the point. The Athearn paint matches quite closely. the Athearn
being a shade lighter. I don't see this as a problem since my OLD models
were freshly painted and put back in the box. Weathering of the prototype
paint would have lightened (bleached) the paint over time anyway. Also the
lighting on model railroads is usually far less intense than the real world.
Alongside a row of dark green trees or dark colored boxcars a light grey
would appear almost white in bright sunlight.

I'd say Athearn did a great job with the paint. I am not that sure how
accurate the underlying model is and would be interested in comments from
those better informed than I.

Additional FYI: According to Athearn they are currently preparing the
paperwork that usually comes with their models. These will be available on
their website "shortly".

Ed Stapleton