Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Document Question?

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Document Question?
From: PSHedgpeth@a...
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 16:55:25 EST
Warren and Steve

I'm always wanting to know more than I wanted to know when I originally
asked, but I'm really puzzled re your statement regarding the difference
between Q and Wabash orders.

You say "Q orders would tell you to take siding and meet so many trains, with
engine numbers so and so for each train, wabash orders would tell you to meet
train no XXX. Thats it. could be 1,2 or three trains running ahead of wabash
xxx, was not metioned in their orders".... sounds like a "lap" to me.

If we're talking about meets between regular trains where the inferior train
is clearing the time of the superior train, then a meet with another superior
train would be something over and above what the inferior train would have to
do besides clearing the time of the superior train. I can't think, though,
given how freight trains run that the DS would just let freight trains wander
along clearing the schedule of other freight trains by superior by
direction, and give them a meet with one of those trains but not all of them.
I've also heard of, but never participated, in an inferior train running on
the right of a superior train, or an inferior train putting a flag on a
superior train and then following him to a meeting point, but I just don't
understand what you are getting at....Why don't you tell us even more than we
really wanted to know????

Also the practice of using some number other than the lead unit number to
designate an extra train is one of which I've never heard. That could really
lead to disaster.

You guys need to read the case of the head on just north of Donnelly, IA in
early 1933 where the engineer of a northbound motor train apparently mistook
a MOW camp car made from a retired motor car on the siding for the train he
was supposed to meet and collided a mile or two north of Donnelly with the
train he was supposed to meet. The engineer and lots of others were killed
so it was never determined what actually happened. You can read about this
one, if you haven't, on the ICC Accident Investigation Website.

Let's talk more about trains meeting other trains running ahead of trains
with which the first train has a meet, but first train knows nothing of
trains running ahead.........My head is spinning.....maybe you can make it
stop.....It's an interesting topic.

Pete