Re: [BRHSlist] Burlington Bulletin #40

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Burlington Bulletin #40
From: PSHedgpeth@a...
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 10:38:33 EST
Charlie and list

Here's a little "aside" which was triggered by the irrigation lines matter.

Years ago...before my time even....and in the days of all friction bearing
cars there was a method of "nursing" a hotbox along when it was necessary to
keep the car moving ie a perishable or "hot" load which couldn't be set out.

That method was called a Keeley.....It consisted of nailing or hanging a
container of water to the side of the car with the hotbox and running a hose
from said container down to the overheated hub. Said arrangement allowed for
a trickle of water to continually be directed into the journal box, thus
helping to improve the lubrication and at the same time cool the hot journal.

The name "Keeley" was derived from an early 1900's or perhaps earlier, "cure"
for Alcoholism which consisted of replacing the consumption of alcohol with
large quantities of water.

I never saw a "Keeley" actually used nor did I ever do anything regarding
cooling hotboxes other than pulling out the burning packing, along with, in
most cases, chunks of melted babbit material and then tossing buckets of
water onto the journal box to cool things off, then repacking the box and
inserting the "rod dope" which consisted of "rods" of hardened grease which
was somewhat water soluble and would improved lubrication as it melted and
adhered to the journal.

I'd be glad for comments of others who go back to the days of all friction
bearings and the regular setting out of hotboxes.

Pete