Re: [BRHSlist] Motor car head-end collision

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Motor car head-end collision
From: PSHedgpeth@a...
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 18:39:24 EST
Phil and list

I discovered this site about a year ago. Lots of good and interesting
reading there.
I even did a program for our local railfans club talking about and
explaining some of these situations.

when you get back to the old stuff (in the teens) it gives a real perspective
on how primitive and dangerous the railroad game was then, when all a man had
to depend on was his timetable, his watch, his train orders and depend on the
other guy to do the right thing. Didn't always happen. Makes for real
interesting reading

Pete Hegpeth

My all time favorite if that's proper terminology for a wreck, is the affair
at Tennant, IA in early 1937 on the CGW. Before I read the official report I
came across an an account of the affair written up in Railroad Magazine in
1942. It was titled A TRIP TO GLORY. This is one of the most bizarre
sequence of events that I have ever heard about.