Thoughts on locomotives

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Thoughts on locomotives
From: "David E. Lotz" <Dave_Lotz@m...>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 11:15:57 -0600
Phil has been experiencing problems posting messages to the list, so I am
forwarding some that he wanted to post until we figure out why he cannot do
this himself....

David Lotz
(314-846-8632
* E-mail: Dave_Lotz@m...

List,
Some thoughts on CB&Q steam locomotive models in HO scale from someone who
has done none of this: Bowser makes a kit for the USRA 2-10-2 which could be
kit-bashed into a USRA 2-10-2 (I don't like their design work) for Q class
M3 6300-6309. These engines spent most of their time on the C&S, numbered in
the 900s. The Proto Heritage 0-8-0 is good for the Q F1 540-549. Bowser has
the correct coo-coo clock headlite as Cary # 13-157 for $2.70 - don't forget
the one on the tender. Proto is coming out with the USRA 0-6-0 which would
be Q G5 500-509. This could be backdated to the newer G5a with some work.
The newly redone Rivarossi USRA heavy 2-8-2 is good for the 04 5500-5514.
RAILMODEL JOURNAL magazine for Oct and Nov 1997 had excellent ideas for
detailing this model with the Elesco and with the Worthington feedwater
systems, and then painting and weathering the models as C&S 800s. Years ago,
an ad appeared in the model mags for a cast resin superstructure for (I
think) the early 2-10-2 and an 0-6-0, but these vanished. It's a valid
approach, though. Considering that most 2-8-2s in this country were close in
size (wheelbase dimensions and 61 "-63 " drivers) it should be feasible to
come up with an 0 1a superstructure to fit the Atheam Genesis (Dave Beck has
a sweet running O1a that is scratchbuilt over the Genesis mechanism). Whilst
we're at it, we could build an S4 on a Tyco/Mantua 4-6-2/4-6-4 frame .....
QuincyPAW
--- Philip Weibler
--- Dawnbaw(a-)eaftWink.net
--- EarthLink: Ifs your Internet.