Motor car head-end collision

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Motor car head-end collision
From: "David E. Lotz" <Dave_Lotz@m...>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 11:18:49 -0600
Phil has been experiencing problems posting messages to the list, so I am
forwarding some that he wanted to post until we figure out why he cannot do
this himself....

David Lotz
(314-846-8632
* E-mail: Dave_Lotz@m...

On 27 April 1943, gas-electric motor car #9850 was struck head-on by O I a
2-8-2 #4962 less than a mile and a half south of the tower at Montgomery,
EL. The motor car was running as train 122 north out of Streator (tt east).
The Mike was ordered out of Clyde with a waycar for work train service
between Montgomery and Yagan Pit (2.94 miles south of Oswego). Both trains
were moving about 20mph when they collided. The combined 40mph impact drove
the motor car backwards 93feet, ripped the engine and generator loose, and
ruptured the gasoline tank. The explosion and fire killed 5 and injured 14.
After this accident, the ICC strongly urged the railroads to find a
different fuel for motor cars. The Post Office made it official by
prohibiting the handling of mail on any gasoline powered motor car. This is
why these cars were converted to distillate or diesel engines. For those of
you who like to stay up until 3 or 4AK try this address:
ho://spgcialcollections.tase.dot.gov/ Scroll down to ICC, click on advanced
search, enter only the names in the RR (i.e.- Chicago Burlington Quincy,
Chicago Rock Island Pacific, Chicago North Western), enter the two-letter
post office code for the state (i.e. - EL, KS, IA), and go search. Wrecks
between 191 1 and 1966 that generally) involved fatalities are all there.
Reports will print out 5-7maybe I I pages, depending on how complex the
investigation was. The pdf link can get you a jpg image of the diagram drawn
up to show the wreck site.
QuincyPAW
--- Philip Weibler
--- Mwnbaw@e...