Re: [BRHSlist] used brass

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] used brass
From: atsf3460@a...
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 12:02:41 EST
I don't think I'd worry about plating worn off the tread of a brass steamer.
The only problem is you're going to have to clean the treads more often
because they'll pick up dirt moreso now. I'm not sure if I'd buy a model
that literally has grooves worn away in the treads unless it's something I
REALLY wanted (Nickle Plate Aeolus for example!). Diesels can of course
have this happen also - I have a friend whose Atlas / Kato Geep's and RS-1's
wheels are slightly grooved from use. I wonder how long you'd have to run an
Athearn diesel with their wheelsets to groove them out (some of mine are
shiny from running but a real groove?) - that sintered metal stuff they use
for wheels probably wears forever but at the cost of getting dirty quicker
and poorer electrical contact.

Mike Martin / Peoria Heights, IL