Re: [BRHSlist] Trackage rights

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Trackage rights
From: "VLBG" <VLBG@s...>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 19:17:35 -0600
From: "Florian Griessenboeck" <florian@v...>
To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, 15 January, 2002 11:01

> Thanks for the reply,
> I read a lot of your mails but I did not realize that you do such exciting
> things out there!

Exciting? Just a job. Major goal is to get trains off your territory and
on someone else's as quickly as possible.

> What I thaugt was more like this: A railroad granting an other one
trackage
> rights would probably not like seeing its own trains on the siding all day
> long while the other Companies trains rush by. Since I don't know a lot
> about the rules of American Railroads (just reading Rights Of Trains,
> though) I just wanted to know how the dispaching was done in such a case.
> Now I understand that the trains class was decicive, right?

Under the current rules trains do not have any class. I don't really think
that "The Rights of Trains" has any connection with current practice.
The way things are set up now the most critical concept is that trains
must have authority to occupy the main track. They can get this authority
in a number of ways but the Timetable is NOT one of them.

Filling up sidings does not make for efficient Dispatching. Idea is to
keep everything moving. Somebody else's fast train ahead of your slow
train is usually the best way to go unless there is some other motive or
plan.

> You have to know that I recieved that wonderful book "Serling Colorado -
> Crossroads on the Prairie" and I think this is a very rewarding location
> model. But it is a bit different there where you have two Railroads coming
> in from the southwest on the same track and leaving town splitting into
two
> single tracks. Must be fun to operate!

That would have been true in the past but the UP line is abandoned West
of Union. As for Sterling the NKC RR operates the former CB&Q/BN
line East out of town in the direction of Culbertson. The Coal route to
Colorado, Kansas and Texas goes from Guernsey to Sterling to Denver
and then South. This does make Sterling a busy place.

> Sorry, but what is a BNSF S-BPATAC and a "Z" ? You're talking to a steam
> guy, you know.

S-BPATAC is a contract train of Sealand containers from Chicago to
Tacoma. Not a great deal of priority here. "Z" trains usually handle
UPS Ground, USPS Ground, and most of the LTL traffic. There are a
lot of service assurances here and in many cases guaranteed traffic.
"Z" trains generally have priority over everything except Amtrak.
I got to say this is from a policy point of view, not a rules point of
view. The rules do not confer any priority on anything.

> Have a nice evening!
> Florian Griessenboeck

Thank you,

TheVLBG