10-6 Pullmans and Zephyr Questions

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: 10-6 Pullmans and Zephyr Questions
From: SilvrDome@a...
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 18:39:47 EST
Rick,

I wanted to weigh in on your questions about 10-6's and the American Royal
Zephyr.

As pointed out Silver Dale and Silver Slope were assigned to the brand new
"Vista Dome American Royal Zephyr" when introduced in 1953. The train was
intended to feature all lightweight cars to compete with Santa Fe's "Kansas
City Chief". If you check out the few photos of the train that exsist from
the 1950's, you usually find 3 Havelock baggage cars leading the stainless
steel consist. (This was subject to change more often than not). The "Dale"
and the "Slope" along with the sister cars for the Blackhawk, CZ, and
Aksarben Zephyr delivered that year introduced new features not seen on
earlier Zephyr equipment.

As I see it, for a few fleeting years circa 1956 (the year I model oddly
enough!), the only Burlington all lightweight trains operated, include the
CZ, DZ, KCZ, ARZ, NZ, TCZ (morning & afternoon), Empire Builder, North Coast
Limited, Texas Zephyr. And ofcourse the SSS Chair Cars will show up here and
there along with Heavyweight RPO's and Mail Storage cars. You could add the
Zephyr-Rocket to the list, but modernized heavyweights were pretty regular in
it's consist.

Hubert