Reply to Roger Kirkpatrick about CB&Q caboose at Carrizozo, New Mexico

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Reply to Roger Kirkpatrick about CB&Q caboose at Carrizozo, New Mexico
From: "duane_koss" <dak507@p...>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 01:37:44 -0000
Roger,
I sent you an email about 3 years back about the CB&Q 10513 @
Carrizozo, New Mexico. I believe it was never painted in BN colors. I
first photographed this caboose in the UP yard at Carrizozo as it
came in on 2 flat cars. The main body was on one car and the trucks
on the other. The UP guys in the office told me that it was going on
display in town but they didn't know anything more as of yet. Later,
I located it just off Highway 54 near the school where it is set up
as a welcome center for Carrizozo. They removed the original end
doors and put house doors on it and put a ceiling fan up in the
cupola. What bothered me was that someone painted a scene over the
CB&Q emblem on the side facing the road. The other side is still
good. Anyway, this caboose came into town with intact original CB&Q
silver/red paint. I can post a few photos if anyone who like to see
what it looks like. I also have one of the original Carrizozo depot
signs from the old wooden depot.

The caboose at Cloudcroft, I believe is a Southern Pacific unit as
you can see it driving through.

Are you aware of the Rock Island caboose being placed into a city
park on the highway west side of Booker, Texas?. I photographed it
there on 14 October 2001

Duane Koss / Blue Springs, MO.....formerly Las Cruces NM resident
BRHS / Lincoln Model Railroad Club