Re: [BRHSlist] Re:CTC Machines & Lineups

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re:CTC Machines & Lineups
From: Steven Holding <hold-on@s...>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 23:28:14 -0600
All the CTC machines in Cicero had graphs except the East End(Aurora to
Chicago) The idea of the graphs was to get rid of the train sheets.
However most of the newer DS after about '78 did not keep up the graph.(Some
hardly kept up the train sheet)
Lineups put out by individual DS were put up starting around 6AM-12 noon and
12 noon to 4 or 6PM on low traffic branches they might be put out all day.
These were used by section and Signal and due to the safety issue were
treated like a train order. One problem use to be on the old C&I (Aurora to
St. Croix)Desk was the bad figures out of Northtown. No train could be run
unless it had a lineup figure. And to run one before was a Crime. Out of
St.Croix it was standard practice to add extras every half to one hour so
you had a slot to run a train. If you had a red signal in the Rock Fence
territory you had to put out a lineup so the Maintainer could go find the
problem. To get around the nonline figure trains we use to put out a
"Rabbit Hunting "Order. This told a train to sound whistle freely ring the
bell and look out for men and equiptment while running at restricted speed.
This order was only for one train while the "Beaver" order or the "Juvenile
Cubian" order was a standard look out order
sjh