Re: [BRHSlist] To Dave Lotz and listers-virus

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] To Dave Lotz and listers-virus
From: Bob Webber <rswebber@c...>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2001 21:08:50 -0600
The virus is not being sent through this list - but, by worms acting on members' PCs. Only those members using Outlook or Outlook Express will propagate the virus(worm).

NO virus scanner will work, unless the DAT files &engines are updated continually. Norton, PCTrend, McAfee - all are useless unless you keep them up to date. And as long as you're concerned about that, make sure that your Operating System and Email client are also up to date. NONE of this would have happened if those using Outlook & Outlook Express would keep their products up to date (of course, keeping those products up to date is nearly impossible as a new security hole & fix happen continually.

Just because an email has the BRHS tag does NOT mean it came from the list. The only thing that means is that the computer you received the email from DID get a message with that subject line. Remember: Those "sending" the virus rarely know the virus/worm has been sent. Don't get mad at them for sending something they didn't know got sent.

You can go here:
http://www.antivirus.com/vinfo
Click on "Scan your PC FREE" and let it run its little scan and clean up any infected files (for free).

The worm uses a known vulnerability in some versions of Outlook Express 5 to mail itself automatically. Microsoft has issued a patch that prevents this vulnerability from being exploited. The download address is
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS01-020.asp

BW