Re: [BRHSlist] Photo Site Worth Visiting

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Photo Site Worth Visiting
From: jonathanharris@e...
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 17:29:06 -0800
>Looked at it. Found something interesting though. On the 2nd picture (pic002)
>there appears to be something on top of the atlantic's boiler, between the
>domes. Any ideas?

At first I thought it was an auxiliary air tank (several RRs had air tanks
in exactly that configuration), but the more closely I look the more I
wonder. First of all, why would they need an extra air tank on that engine,
and why would they want to put it there? I've seen sideways-mounted
generators in that same position on some of the P5s and P6s, but they're
not nearly so big. And what's that long, kinda thick pipe above the
handrail extending out from the cab to the rear-left side of the mystery
tank? There also appears to be some other odd piping between said tank and
the bell. I have no idea what any of it means.

According to Corbin & Kerka's roster, 2590 was a P6A, rebuilt from a P2 in
1927 and scrapped in 1947; the 1935 chart of assignments shows it as
working on the Wymore division.

Does anyone know when/where any these pictures were taken? To save browsers
time, the pertinent numbers at the <www.supersiteusa.com> site are Train
Pics number 1, 2, 5, 60, 61, 62, 63, and possibly 64. (This doesn't include
any BN or BNSF pix -- of which there are also a few on this site). Can
anyone identify the number of the prairie shown in picture number 5? And is
the doodlebug in picture 64 a Burlington unit? If so, which one?

Jonathan