Re: [BRHSlist] Signal House Peoria, Il

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Signal House Peoria, Il
From: "Jules Johnson" <cbqrr17@h...>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 22:15:15 -0600
Virginia Louger was an excellent modeler. Does anyone remember the
Mississippi river boats she built?, or the coaling towers? In the early
days of the Signal House Bill(Looger) was there only part time as he was
still employed at WABCO. Virginia was the source/knowledge/janitor of the
business, and Bill was the decision maker. How about going down the
driveway to the parking area in the rear and not finding a spot to park.
Many a time I parked in the Ben Schwarts grocery parking lot and hiked the 1
block to 4750 N Sheridan Road. Half the problem was getting across the
raceway(Sheridan Road) I remember getting stuck on their(Loogers) driveway
in my '68 Camaro. I also remember the shop was in the basement of their
home and one had to walk thru the garage to get to the display area.
Several years later the shop was expanded to the garage and more than
doubled the space. Mr. Looger was big on brass and had a stock larger than
the larger stores in the big metropolitan areas. He would get brass from
the importers, no matter how small the runs were. If my memory is correct,
Bill left WABCO(Westinghouse Air Brake??????) for full time employment at
the Signal House around the same time as Hallmark imported their first GP-7.
Does anyone remember his second shop in Missouri? Mr. Looger was very firm
and did not discount the brass. I do remember the unpacking of the wood
crates containing the CBQ cabooses, but do not recall the moving of the
smoke stacks. Long gone fond memories Jules Johnson