Older folk

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Older folk
From: WPDiven@a...
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 14:22:59 EDT
In a message dated 9/25/01 11:43:38 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
nftrains@n... writes:

<< Maybe I should find some of these older folk and talk with them someday >>

Don't wait. Takes notes, record tape, shoot video, whatever. This is called
oral history, and volumes are lost everyday. Many colleges and historical
societies have oral-history programs with advice on how to proceed and
formats to use.

Regardless, don't wait. Talk to old heads if you can, but don't stop there.
Virtually everyone born before say 1950 rode trains and, particularly in
smaller towns, has memories of schedules, railroaders, buildings, shippers,
accidents, quality of service, diesels replacing steam, boys boarding troop
trains, depots closing, etc. You get the idea.

I've done some of this but still kick myself for the people where I waited
too long.

Bill