Re: [BRHSlist] Signals on the Q

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Signals on the Q
From: Ed Pavlovic <epav1@w...>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 12:43:01 -0500
I know that most if not all of the signals on the C&I between Aurora and
Savanna were made by GRS. Searchlights (Type SA?) at the CTC controlled
sidings and on the two main tracks between Steward Jct. and Flag Center
through Rochelle, and the vertical three light heads on the intermediate
signals on the single track. An interesting thing to note on these
intermediate signals is that instead of the normal (from the top) G-Y-R
arrangement, the Q used a Y-G-R light arrangement.

Sunrise did make the vertical three light head signals, but they are not in
production right now. They made 3 heights of masts for these, I'm not sure
what was the "standard" size was for the Q. The searchlights are available
from Sunrise, I'm not sure of the numbers right now, they also make the "pot"
signals for the signals coming off of the sidings. One nice thing about
using these signals (which use LED's to obtain the red, yellow or green) is
that the Q used a yellow, versus a lunar aspect for a "restricting"
indication. But the aspect is dependent on which head and what arrangement
of heads is on the signals. (I'll leave that part of the discussion to
someone else, but they do have illustrations in the 1967 version of the
Consolidated Code of Operating Rules, or in an earlier version depending on
your time period.

Ed Pavlovic