Re: [BRHSlist] For E or F crew -

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] For E or F crew -
From: amtrak347@a...
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 05:00:41 EDT
Marshall -
1. Yes, the cab seats did rotate on the E units (E-7's, 8's, & 9's). As for
the E-5's, they were gone before I hired-out but you may want to contact Dave
Dote @ IRM for more details. The seats were also adjustable forward and
backward. The seat backs had three positions of tilt. During my hostling
days, 31 years ago at Aurora RH, my favorite fireman seat position was full
forward, rotated 90 degrees to the right (facing the control stand) and the
seat back in the full rearward "tilt" position.

2. Don't depict the 3rd seat for the headend brakeman. On passenger trains,
the headend brakeman rode the train, not the engine. The 3rd seat on an
E-unit was for an "observer" such as the Road Foreman of Engines (the guy
with the Stetson hat in "Q" days); recall the Trains Magazine photo of Road
Foreman, Red Visney running an "E" somewhere on the C&I.? If you put a 3rd
man in the cab on the middle seat, make sure he is wearing a Stetson. The
engineer and fireman most likely wore Kromer caps with OshKosh coveralls
(pinstripes, my guess).

I could "rattle on", but it's getting late. Good luck with your project.

Bob Campbell
Naperville, IL