Something New

To: brhslist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Something New
From: qutlx1@a...
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 21:08:08 EDT
Ok I have to admit it. After 27 years of working or riding the dinkies(that
fact alone is really scary to think about) I experienced something new on
Tues 9/4/01. Now understand I'm used to being shoved across plants or into
Union Station controlling the movement from a tail hose on the end of the
control car. But on Tues I rode from Aurora to C.U.S. while the movement was
controlled from the cab of the control car via radio to the engine.The man in
the control cab had control over the air but nothing else.He used the
radio/p.a. to pass signal indications to the engine cab and instructions as
to what throttle position to use. Seems after backing the train into the
Aurora "station" there as no electrical control over the engine from the
control car.
Sounded really comfortable to hear "ok CJ put her in 8 we have a clear
indication,keep her at 70 ".
Now you'll note I didn't mention any names or train #. Wonder how many rules
were broken in this operation? By the way the train had about 1,400 people on
it!
Station stops were really interesting trying to spot the train from the wrong
end. Were we only 20 minutes late.
Leo