Re: [BRHSlist] Ghost towns

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Ghost towns
From: atsf3460@a...
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 23:22:55 EDT
I know where Big Cut is. It's just east of Plum Creek Junction (Savanna) and
almost southwest of Mount Carroll. It's the site of, get this, a big cut on
the climb out of the Mississippi River valley. Apparently this was quite a
construction project for the time - years ago I dated a girl whose father
grew up on a farm near Big Cut and it was locally famous even when he was a
kid. I believe he said they used teams of horses to dig and grade the line
through there. This area is really scenic and Big Cut can be found where,
get this, Big Cut Road crosses the tracks (DeLorme also lists the area as
being Burke which I think is where Burke Siding is as well). Just north of
Big Cut is the I&M Rail Link so with an open ear or scanner one can railfan
both lines.

Mike Martin / Peoria Heights, IL